Monday, August 22, 2005

Go Eat Something!

I'm losing weight, too much weight. And losing it too fast. Even as I write this I'm hesitating. I know that many of you out there struggle with the opposite problem. But at three weeks pre-Steelhead I weighed 154; today, two weeks post-Steelhead, it's 143. Same methodology, same scale, same time of day, same clothing (or the lack thereof), always pre-workout, always pre-breakfast. I can see it in the mirror but, worst of all, I can feel it in my stamina and power particularly on the bike. And my other 'A' race is coming up in six days.

So I reviewed the situation with Karyn. She said that some weight loss after a long race is typical of a revved-up metabolism, but not 11 lbs in little more than a month. She said that something else must be going on, some external stress. Boy, does she know me. Her recommendation: "go eat something, Davis!" As unappealing as it may be right now, I need 3,000+ calories a day to maintain strength. I've probably been well below 2,000 calories per day for several weeks. So it looks like I'll be hitting the Ensure aisle at the local market for a while. Blech.

6 comments:

Born To Endure said...

Wow...you're right..I do envy you!!! However, maybe a trip to the Dr. and a physical might be in order too!!!
Good luck...and quit worrying about jumping out of planes...you'll be signing up for an Ironman soon..:-D

Vertical Man said...

Thanks, Shelley, for the "get to the doctor" advice. I keep hoping there's another solution! And Keryn, thanks for the suggestions. My problem is that food just isn't appealing right now. I make a meal with the usual portion sizes and can only eat half or less.

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy said...

Dammit man, you are getting WAY too close to what I weigh. You must remedy this situation immediately. Pizza, and lots of it.

GO!

Vertical Man said...

Cheesecake! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Hm, I can't imagine not wanting to eat. My problem is that there's always room for more!

Always.

Damn.

When/If you go to the doctor, be sure you get your thyroid checked out.

You may want to try carrying nuts or dried fruit around with you for snacking. Lots of calories but lots of nutrition, too. I know it can be tempting to fill up on empty calories, but... oh heck, have the cheesecake!