Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Dig Deep, Really Deep.

Karyn organized a track workout for her training clients this evening. Turns out, with vacations and post-race recoveries in process, only two trainees (M and yours truly) showed up to run the 6X800 descends. Both of us have Olympic-distance races coming up in 10 days; I have Accenture Chicago and M has Lake Geneva (WI).

After a mile warm-up we started the 800's, with 2 at our 5K pace, 2 slightly faster than 5K and a final 2 all-out. The purpose of the workout was pace recognition and learning how to dig really deep in the run's final 2 miles. My times for the six repeats:

  • 3:24
  • 3:26
  • 3:16
  • 3:20
  • 2:58
  • 2:56

Karyn's parting advice after the workout's mile cool-down was for me to "...visualize plowing thru everyone on Lake Shore Drive!" Alrighty then. I can do that. Well, visualizing it, I mean. Actually DOING it is the tough part.

I think I'm going to reprise the PITQLFLS letters on my left forearm for Accenture Chicago. "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever. Live strong." It got me through Steelhead; I'm betting it'll work in Chicago too.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Dang, that's some ridiculous fast time. You're SO set for this race. You must be feeling awesome about IMMOO!!!

TriDaddy said...

Wow, you've got some solid training going on... good luck in your race!

Nancy Toby said...

Ouch ouch ouch those 800s hurt to even READ about! Well done!!!