Saturday, February 19, 2005

Saturday's Triathlon Workout (2/19/05)

Felt much better today. My "flu" must've been the 18-hour kind. Good thing I skipped getting a flu shot; I might've been really sick otherwise.

Our local weather geek forecasts 5 inches of snow overnight, so I flipped schedules: tomorrow's run was moved to today and today's bike to tomorrow. I love to run outside and watching DamnDog fight her way through a snowdrift to pee helps entertain me on the bike trainer.

Anyway, today's snow-free run was nearly perfect: sunny, 35 degrees, 85 minutes, just under 9 miles, Zone 1 and 2, paying attention to nutrition (2 gels) and hydration (25 oz of GU20. Say Goo-two-oh.) Couple of walking breaks just to mix things up...as if I weren't already.

And it's Saturday so most crazed soccer moms who would otherwise be running me off the sidewalks are home snug in their beds or sleeping in coffins or nursing hangovers or whatever they do in the off-hours when not slumped behind the mini-van steering wheel. Safety first, ya know.

An evening swim capped off the day: 2350 meters, main set of 5X300 meters, trying to make each 300 slightly faster than the one before. Karyn wanted me to "find another gear." I think I did: reverse. Either that or I stripped my clutch. My trusty mechanic is even now diagnosing the problem. Remediation to commence shortly.


Oh, yeah. Music. Check out Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers. This is jumpin' swing music for those of you who appreciated it years before (and years after) those teeny-bopping Gap commercials. It kicks. It moves. The Skillet Lickers (ain't that a cool name?) are one hot band. And Ms. Lavay herself "...puts the 'voom' in va-va-voom..."

No comments: