Monday, April 20, 2009

The Thinker Among Us

Those of you who know me at all know that I'm a cosmology and astrophysics geek/junkie. I don't come close to understanding the deeper implications of relativity or the math behind string theory but I love what I CAN appreciate of the universe's mysterious beauty.


So I was in Seattle a few years ago, giving a talk at some corporate meetings. While having breakfast in the hotel, I looked over and there was physicist Stephen Hawking at the next table. I wouldn't have given a flying fig about an A-list celebrity sitting close by, but there's something special about looking over and seeing one of the world's foremost thinkers and scientists, perhaps an heir to Sir Isaac Newton's mantle of The Greatest Ever.

News reports today say that Hawking is in a hospital, gravely ill. My prayers are with him.

No comments: