Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Difference Between Michael Phelps and Vertical Man

Several years ago, in the midst of a busy racing season, I suddenly and mysteriously started dropping weight, losing over 8 pounds in just two weeks from an already svelte (if I do say so myself) frame.  So I talked to DocTom, my esteemed PCP; he said something along the lines of "...why dontcha eat something, ya dumb-ass!?"  Ummm...OK.  I talked next to CoachKaryn; she too said "...go eat something dumb-ass!" or words to that unkind effect.  Hmmm.


Noticing a trend here, I visited a sports nutritionist who actually said something useful: "Vertical Man, we're upping your calories-per-day from 2,000 to 6,000.  Here's a meal plan for 5 meals a day. Now go eat something and stop being a dumb-ass...ya dumb-ass!"  So I did - eat something, I mean.  I'll probably never stop being a dumb-ass.

I didn't gain back any weight (well, at least not right away...) and might've lost an additional pound or two, but apparently I didn't lose any strength cuz I had the 3 best races of my life (including a 1st place AG) at my new, lighter poundage.

But 12,000 calories a day like Michael Phelps is doing?  Holy banana cakes, Batman!  I couldn't even LOOK at that much food.  Blech.

No comments: