Tuesday, March 14, 2006

50 Going On 23...

That's what Intrepid Training Partner says I am - 50 going on 23.

But now this: "Athletic ability declines with advancing age. There are ways to forestall this inevitability, but the physiological reality is that, after 35, we begin to lose speed and, eventually, endurance. " Apparently the best you can do is lose speed and/or endurance a little slower than the norm.

Then I remembered Wil's recent "Why tri?" contest. My favorite answer was something along the lines of "...because the Grim Reaper catches us all. But when he catches me the son-of-a-bitch is going to be hunched over, wheezing and gasping for breath!"

So, hey, Grimmy old boy, ya better be out there gettin' your Geek on!

What I'm reading: "The Inner Circle" by T. C. Boyle. "...a case study of the price paid by ordinary human beings when they become the apostles to men of genius."

iPod shuffle: "Goodbye" by Bill Evans, from Jazz 'Round Midnight

5 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hmm. I wonder what this means for me. I didn't start running until I was 40, and spent my youth as a couch potato who smoked and NEVER exercised. Plus, I teach teenagers, most of whom spend their free time in front of the tube, playing video games. I would say is that I'd rather NOT have the body of an 18-year-old; mine or otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the 41-year-old one I have!

Vertical Man said...

Hi Misty, and thanks for the comment. You make a great point. I don't think I'd want MY 18-year-old body either!

Lora said...

Was this your 50th birthday????? Gotta let us know!!

At 48, I"m creeping up right behind ya. Thanks for the reminder of that post of the grim reaper...Catch us if you can cuz we ain't going down easy!

Meagan said...

there is NO way you are 50! I don't believe it. Besides, you're only as old as you feel :)

Pem said...

I've heard many times that if you take up running in mid life you can get faster for seven years before age catches up with improvement.