Monday, April 04, 2005

Where's That Starbucks Again?

Happy Monday, all! Karyn front-loaded my week's workouts since I'm flying to California on Friday to run in a half-marathon on Sunday. I know, I know. There are LOTS of races closer to the Great Suburban Outback than Paso Robles, CA. But none offer the beaches, scenic beauty and other attractions of California's central coast. So that's where I'm a-goin thanks to frequent flier miles on good 'ol American Airlines.

Today I jumped in the pool for a 60-minute, 2,400 yard swim. The swim featured 4X600 sets, each with a different focus. Set #1 was 4X(100 freestyle and 50 drill.) Set #2 was 4X150 with a pull buoy. Set #3 was 2X(3X100) descending. Finally (whew) was 4X150 with more drills. I love swimming. Too bad it doesn't love me.

Got home, yanked the Kestrel off the trainer and, finally finally, finally, got in an outdoor ride. 90 minutes and probably 25 miles through evening rush hour traffic, cell phone-yacking soccer moms, UPS drivers, commuter trains, driveway puller-outers and stoplight demolition derbys. The best part: I DIDN'T CARE! I was on my bike, outdoors, with the sun shining and 71 blissful degrees to play with.

Stopped at Starbucks at the turnaround point, sat down on the patio and watched the world go by for a moment. Hey, d'ya think there are Starbucks halfway through a half-Ironman? Yes or no, things are looking up!

I'm off to a neighborhood watering hole to hang out with a bunch of rabid Illini fans. I'll have to disguise my sentiment about loathing basketball. See ya!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Yep, a Starbucks half way through would be great!

Good time on that mileage, too.