Friday, March 18, 2005

Training Update (3/18/05)

In case you're wondering, I've never used any performance-enhancing substances of any kind, legal or illegal...'cept the occasional Motrin and a daily vitamin. No, I'm what God (with her apparently sick sense of humor) always intended me to be: emaciated, short, bald and nearsighted to the point of blindness. Ain't no pill for most of that.

Oh, and Sammy Sosa's a lying jerkwad. Good riddance to him and his country bumpkin-pleasin' home run hop. Just my opinion, of course.

Today I did an hour on the trainer, spinning in the high end of my comfort zone (i.e. in the mid 90's) while keeping my heart rate firmly under control in Zones 1 and 2. Accompanied by Poi Dog Pondering, Bonnie Raitt and Bob Marley, I followed the Rastaman's advice to "Lively Up Yourself."

Next, I did 45 minutes of strength training, focusing on upper body and core while giving the legs a rest (I'll need 'em for tomorrow's brick workout and Sunday's tempo run.)

Yesterday's workouts were a 60 minute running/hill workout followed (for good measure) by an easy, 30 minute spin on the bike trainer. After 3-4 sub-par workouts I felt really good - like I'd found another gear. I think my body had been sending me a message after 3 breakthrough workouts in a week. Something along the lines of "Hey! Knock it off already!"

And now the Weather Geek's long-range forecast is for a cold, damp spring. Yeah. Now there's something to look forward to.

No comments: