Saturday, March 19, 2005

Another (Training) Brick In the Wall (3/19/05)

My first brick workout of 2005 is now history: 90 minutes of high-RPM biking followed immediately by a 15 minute run. I once told Karyn that I usually feel pretty good early in the run leg of a tri. Her diagnosis: I'm not working hard enough during the bike leg, i.e. if you're gonna live up to your potential your legs should protest a bit. Now there's something to look forward to...

So I pushed it today. Twenty minutes of warm-up at 80 RPMs, then 20 minutes at 90 RPMs, 20 more at 95, 20 more at 100 and a final 10 at 100+. Done. Jump off the bike (actually, fall off is more accurate), throw on running shoes and head out for 2 quick 7-minute miles.

The run felt pretty good, likely due to the fact that I biked at well below my race pace, pushing a pretty easy gear the entire time. Let's see what happens when I do the same workout at 24-25 MPH. (Insert mental picture here of my kidneys melting down...)

Derek & The Dominos accompanied me today, recorded live at the Fillmore in 1970 - when Eric Clapton was still a guitar player to be reckoned with, and well before so-called 'classic rock' radio played "Layla" into a state of wretched over-exposure. Put your E.C. fan club credentials away for a moment and listen to "Key to the Highway." If you don't agree, you're obviously someone whose musical tastes ossified in 1979; I hereby sentence you to a lifetime of Styx, Journey, Foreigner and Foghat. More's the pity that you're probably OK with that.

I'll do a 45-minute swim tonight after the screaming hordes have left Lifetime. Should be unremarkable, relaxing and quite fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was at the Nawlins Jazzfest a few years ago. Hot as a mutha. Was in one of the side tents when a band called Little Ed And The Blues Imperials takes the stage. What a show, just tore it up. I believe he's from your neck of the woods.

Anyway, just did the maiden voyage with my new (used) Zipp 404's. Diggin 'em. 82 days to go to my 1/2IM. need some mileage. good luck.