Thursday, February 10, 2005

Thursday's Workout (2/10/05)

Last night the TV weather-geek must've belted out a chorus of "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow." Hate the play. Love the forecast, 'specially because he was right for once. The sun did come out, shining brightly while I did an 60 minute breakthrough tempo interval run.

A "breakthrough" workout challenges you to take your capabilities up a level more or less permanently. TrainingPeaks refers to them as "workouts intended to cause a significant, positive, adaptive response." I call it adapting to getting your ass kicked.

The tempo intervals were supposed to be 4 X 6 minute intervals with my heart rate building to Zone 3 (about 145 bpm.) But life in the form of major cross streets kept interfering every 5 minutes or so. The stoplights offered my only protection from early rush-hour traffic and I chose discretion - and living to fight another day - over longer intervals. I ended up doing more, shorter (5 X 5 minute, Zone 3) intervals instead, hopefully not offending any tri Gods in the process. Probably a few soccer moms were pleased I didn't dart out in front of them.

No music reviews today. Like I told ya, I don't listen to music when running or biking outside. Sonia Dada, one of Chicago's finest musical exports, is on the iPod right now though. Nice.



No comments: