Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Tour de France Bike Brands




Confession being good for the soul, I guess it's time I confessed to being a gear junkie. Yes, I lust after bikes, wetsuits, jerseys, running shoes, sunglasses and whatever else the well-dressed tri-geek happens to be wearing at the moment.


Thus I'm always curious about the bikes being ridden in the Tour de France, especially the time trial machines. Here to start with are the leading teams' road bikes. Triathletes will recognize some big names: Trek, Cervelo, Felt, Scott, Kuota, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, to name a few.

Though a new tri-bike won't make me any faster, I'll feel SO patriotic as my purchase helps a local bike shop make the week's payroll. Maybe I'll see if Obamanomics offers tax incentives to replace an older carbon fiber rocket with a newer model. I feel at least as entitled - and WAY more virtuous - as someone trading in a Hummer.

Just remember: buying a Trek Madone 6.9 Pro doesn't make you Lance Armstrong any more than getting a speeding ticket makes you Danica Patrick.

No comments: