Friday, February 24, 2006

Paris Hilton is a Hotel

Some of you longer-term Lifeisatri-ers have undoubtedly noticed that I haven't posted much about "the struggle," i.e. the long, slow slog to be ready when the Ironman Wisconsin starting gun sounds on September 10th. While recent rants have been good - and quite cathartic - I've posted just a few weekly schedules; daily workout reports are conspicuous only by their total absence.

A two-week bout with the flu back in December cost me a lot of strength; getting it back has been frustratingly slow. My motivation has been up-and-down (two weeks ago I came THIS close to bagging IMWI...) but you don't want to hear me whine about that. CoachKaryn sorta has to listen to all my crap and talk me in off the ledge once in a while. You, dear readers, should have many better things to do.

Just so you know, I've been getting in most workouts, but few (none, actually) have been worth writing about. Just another day, another workout or three, blah, blah, blah. Great Suburban Outback drivers are still psychotic. The weather still sucks. I still hate spending hours on the bike trainer. But I said all that last season and if you miss it, well, there's always the archives.

So, to all of you shiny, enthusiastic, happy, smiling, training, blogging, motivated wonderful tri-geeks out there, I'm tempted to say "bite me" but will settle for a simple truth: there's many roads to Ironman. Mine, at the moment, is somewhat solitary, quite brooding, a little introspective and not worth writing about. I'm gonna be there on 9/10, but this year just feels different for some reason.

For now, I'll simply say that training sucks and I'm happy I've never used the words "Kid" and "Rock" and "Paris" and "Hilton" together in the same sentence. Never have, never will. Now aren't you glad you tuned in?

7 comments:

TriDaddy said...

As always, another refreshing departure from all the happy-happy joy-joy'ers out there.

Born To Endure said...

YEAH BITE ME VM!! You know i'm really not nice at all, in fact at work they put a sign next to my desk.."does not play well with others"..now get your freaking ass out the door and train, you know you want this IM now work for it...loser!! Just kidding..hows that?? plthhhhhhhhhhh :-))

Holly said...

Blah Blah Blah ... Amen to that!

Hang Tough and be as moody as you need to be ... keep Living STRONG!

Nancy Toby said...

Bite me. I think you're just sandbagging. You're going to IMMOO and gonna blow their doors off.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sing it, brother. Amen. I myself take a rather lackadaisical approach to competition; I'm slow but I'm happy.

Papa Tweet said...

Man, Bruce Willis (I only call you that because you look like him), put down the butt butter and step away. Things don't seem so happy joy joy around here. I feel your pain on the sickness, sorta. My wife got sick with whooping cough, and of course, I got it too. However, my doctor diagnosed me earlier than my wife so my recovery has been about 1/4 of hers. The anitbioitcs are playing tricks with my body and I still don't feel great. I'm about 40 days away from Ironman Arizona and when I got sick, I was starting the peak of my volume training. In all, it will take about three weeks to fully recover, just in time for my taper. Horrible timing. I wrote a post or two about it this weekend. This illness has brought my progress to a screaching hault. However, I'm starting to make slow progress in the right direction. Best of luck, and I hope you find some enjoyment in what you're doing.
Benny

Lora said...

As a solitary dudette meself, I hear ya...just don't come out the other end in a red sportscar wearing an open-buttoned polyester shirt with lots of gold chains!