Friday, May 13, 2005

TGIF, and Not A Moment Too Soon

Finally, I managed to run today's track workout, despite thunderstorms, monsoons, high school PE workouts and all sorts of threatening "No trespassing" signs on the surrounding fence. Permission? We don't need no stinkin' permission!

The 2-mile run from house to track served as a good warm-up. Then it was 6X800 with a 400 cool-down between each 800. Karyn's purpose for the workout was pace recognition, i.e. she wanted the first 400 to be at my 5k pace, or around a 6:40 min/mile pace (1:40 for the 400 or 3:20 for the 800,) and the second 400 around 10 seconds faster.

As usual, I did things pretty much ass-backwards. My 800 times were: 3:15, 3:17, 3:15, 3:20, 3:20 and 3:18, so I was pretty much where she wanted me to be, but the 2nd 400 was invariably :10 slower than the first. I guess my closing needs work. 2 miles home to cool-down and now it's Miller Time.

Oh, yeah. There was also a swim today, a very simple 3X600 with a 100 cool-down, 1,900 total. The first 600 was a warm-up. In the next 600 I practiced sighting 2x per 25. The last 600 was a negative split (i.e. the second 300 was faster than the first.) A good swim in an empty pool on a grey and stormy day.

I'm thinking of taking my wetsuit to Lifetime this weekend and getting in some pre-Galena practice. Intrepid Training Partner e-mailed me today and said the water temp over there is 56 freakin' degrees! Wowie Kazowie. That's manhood-shriveling territory.

I heard from my brother last night; he's generally OK after his crash, though the shoulder he landed on is still quite painful. He send his regards to the TGD community and is looking forward to August and racing the Steelhead half-IM with me (and with
Wil.) I'll be the one bringing up the rear.

1 comment:

Comm's said...

did you ever mention what happened to the bike your brother was on?