Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Spring May Be Busting Out All Over

So, you ask, how’s the weather in the Great Suburban Outback? Why it’s finally feeling like spring, thanks for asking! 67 breezy degrees and sunny enough to rip the skin right off this pasty-faced white boy’s bald cranium.

I wasn’t sure how much I’d have left in the tank after Sunday’s epic 2:30, 16.4 mile run (at least it’s epic to me…it may not be to you or the ancient Greeks) but today’s the day I needed to find out. Much to my total amazement (and probably Karyn’s) I had 2 really great workouts: a 45 minute run and a 45 minute swim.

The run was a 5-mile out and back on a gently rolling course. Holding my heart rate below Zone 3 proved to be a problem, and several times I backed off to stay within the Karyn-prescribed Zones 1 and 2.


The swim was 1,800 yards total, with the main set being a straight 1,000 yard swim alternating T-pace 50’s with easy-pace 50’s. I also tried to get faster overall as the 1,000 swim progressed, and was able to make the last 200 the fastest of all. I don’t usually have that problem (or opportunity.) Maybe there’s something to this training thing after all. Everything - even the chronically-sore knees - worked and felt great. I must be doing something wrong.

Stopped by Whole Foods on the way home and bought groceries for dinner: salmon baked in foil with butter, white wine, shallots, baby spinach and carrots, home-made oven fries and fresh bread. Fresh fruit and espresso for dessert. Ya shoulda been here. I may not be much of a triathlete (yet) but I can COOK!

The tri-wife and youngest tri-daughter fly off to the beach tomorrow for spring break, leaving me home to care for DamnDog and Cat the Ripper, water the orchids and train like a fool. Wanna bet which will get the most of my time? Sorry animals! You're on your own 'til next Tuesday!


Oh, lighten up! It's a joke...like canine intelligence. Wait. That's an oxymoron. Never mind.

3 comments:

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy said...

I like the way you write! Awesome workouts, hope the knees are better, I feel your pain (literally!).

Spring break is coming up for me too, it'll be nice to not have to wait for the weekend to get in the long rides and runs!

:) said...

Likewise...it seems when everything is going good for me, I must be doing something wrong. Things always seem to get back 'off' track though; don't worry!

Flatman